It’s easier to make healthy choices in some cities than in others. WalletHub, a personal finance site, compared 34 characteristics of 150 U.S. cities, and ranked these as the 10 healthiest:
Salt Lake City
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Santa Clarita, Calif.
Ranking factors included per capita number of fitness clubs, nutritionists, healthy restaurants, and walking and running trails; fruit and veggie consumption; and health care access and costs. Here are some of the winners in individual categories (based on per-capita numbers):
- Most healthy restaurants: Portland, Ore.
- Most nutritionists: Durham, N.C.
- Lowest average fitness club costs: El Paso, Tex.
- Most running trails: Washington, D.C.
- Most walking trails: Lincoln, Neb.
Three California cities—San Francisco, Oakland, and Fremont—tied for the #1 spot in lowest percentage of adults eating less than 1 serving of fruits and veggies daily.