Many of my homeopathic patients have asked me about the topic of immunizations. I suggest that parents be educated on the topic and understand both sides of the story. As a parent, you are responsible for making health care decisions for your child. Do the research about the pros and cons of vaccinations in order to make an informed decision. Even in the face of medical and societal pressure, the decision to vaccinate is ultimately in your hands as your child’s caregiver.
In my 22 years of practice, I have known hundreds of families who have chosen not to immunize. All of them have done well and are healthy today. In the United States, most states allow parents to choose whether to immunize based on their convictions. At most schools, a “conscientious objector” form is accepted in lieu of an immunization record, except in the state of California where a medical exemption is required in order to skip immunizations.
Homeopathic practitioners find that some patients seem to have chronic illnesses that date from the time of an immunization. Some medical experts believe that having childhood diseases, like measles and chicken pox, is beneficial to the immune system and that the toxic effects of the vaccinations should be avoided. In addition, immunizations do not guarantee full immunity. Again, it’s a decision that is yours as a parent.
Here are a few suggestions if you are concerned about immunizing your child:
- Read publications outlining the pros and cons of immunizations and the treatment options (see recommended reading below).
- If you decide to vaccinate your child, allow your baby to grow and strengthen for a few months before giving their first shots (not immediately after birth).
- Don’t give shots when the child is sick (or just because you happen to be in the doctors’ office).
As a parent, you face many choices regarding your child’s health and well-being. There are no easy answers—but you do have the ultimate opportunity to use your unique knowledge about your child and your beliefs to help guide you on the way.
These three homeopathic remedies work well as adjunct therapies after a vaccine. Immediately after an immunization, I recommend:
- Ledum palustre (the homeopathic puncture-wound remedy) at a dose of 30c.
- Belladonna at a dose of 30c is beneficial for swelling and fever that may come that night.
- Thuja occidentalis at a dose of 30c can help to ease various side effects of a vaccine.
- The Vaccine Guide: Making an Informed Choice by Randall Neustaedter, OMD
- The Parents’ Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations by Lauren Feder, MD