- 8 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, chilled
- ½ cup pumpkin, cooked (unsweetened canned or fresh puree)
- ½ large sweet apple, cored, unpeeled, and coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup cannellini beans, cooked (if canned, drain and rinse)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 tsp. coconut oil or MCT oil, or 1 Tbs. avocado
- 1-inch fresh turmeric root (or ¾ tsp. ground turmeric)
- ½–1-inch peeled fresh ginger root (or ¾ tsp. ground ginger)
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- 2–3 grinds fresh black pepper
Few drops vanilla stevia or 1–2 soft, fresh pitted dates, to taste, for added sweetness
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth. Serve at room
temperature or slightly warmed over low heat.
PER SERVING: 500 cal; 32g pro; 7g fat; 1g sat fat; 1,310mg sod; 78g carbs; 29g fiber; 18g sugars
See Also: 5 Health Benefits of MTC Oil
Tip: If your ginger root is older or stringy, grate a 2-inch chunk, gather the gratings and squeeze them hard with your hand over the blender to extract the juice. Discard the stringy pulp. Black pepper sounds like a strange smoothie ingredient, but it adds a surprising little flavor snap and helps activate the curcumin in turmeric. You can use fresh ground and/or try adding 2–3 drops of food-grade black pepper essential oil.