When you find a supplement or personal care product that “wows” you, you know you’ve found something special. We’ve been bowled over by many of the innovative products introduced on the natural health market this year. Some of them are just plain genius. And we think they deserve special recognition! Hence, the first-annual Amazing Wellness New Products awards.
All of these products stood out for us in one way or another. They include supplements with original delivery systems, those that incorporate new scientific research, formulas that use organic and non-GMO ingredients, and exciting new forms or flavors. All good news for consumers and supplement takers.
Products were nominated by manufacturers and sought out by our on-staff team of sleuths who regularly attend natural products shows. We polled Vitamin Shoppe store managers and supplement shoppers, and we tried and tested the products ourselves (the best part for Amazing Wellness staffers!).
So without further ado ... our Amazing Wellness 2017 Best New Products winners!
Best New Essential Fatty Acids
Did you know?Omega-3 fats are essential, meaning they’re required for health, but the body can’t make them—they must be consumed.
- Black seed oil is derived from the seeds of the Nigella sativa plant, aka black seeds or black cumin. It is a naturally rich, vegan source of essential fatty acids (omega-3, 6, and 9) and contains the powerful antioxidant thymoquinone.
- Black seed oil is a multi-tasker—it promotes a healthy inflammatory response, and has been shown to benefit a range of conditions including asthma and diabetes. This premium oil is 100% pure cold-pressed (so the oil remains undamaged by heat), and is solvent- and hexane-free.
- The softgel form is easy to take and travels well.
- A combination of EPA and DHA from wild Alaskan fish oil, MenaQ7 (a proprietary form of vitamin K2 known to benefit bone health), and vitamin D3.
- Together, these nutrients support optimal bone and heart health by helping the bones absorb calcium.
- The non-GMO, chickpe-sourced MenaQ7 is an easier way to get K2 than traditional dietary sources, such as fermented soy (natto).
Twice as Nice
- A balanced blend of omega-3s EPA and DHAs in a mini (easy-to-swallow) softgel.
- Big things really do come in small packages. These mini caps concentrate more than 90% triglyceride-form omega-3 fish oil in each softgel, delivering more than 1,000 mg EFAs per 2-softgel serving.
- The softgels are strawberry flavored and can be chewed or swallowed. No fishy taste or smell!
Best New Herbs & Homeopathic Remedies
A Win for Skin
- A homeopathic blend, along with soothing aloe, oat, neem, green tea, honeysuckle, and other natural ingredients.
- It’s formulated to ease multiple symptoms of eczema, including redness, intense itching, allergic skin eruptions, and scaly, inflamed skin.
- It’s incredibly light and non-greasy, easily absorbing into skin to cool, moisturize, and provide instant relief.
- A.M. and P.M. packets deliver a range of enzymes, probiotics, superfoods, vitamins, minerals, and herbs. The morning cleanse contains powerful ingredients for detoxification, while the evening cleanse offers gentle and effective support for elimination and regularity.
- It’s a no-brainer way to detox—the easy- to-use morning and evening packets eliminate the unnecessary complexity of buying different formulas and contain all the capsules needed for an ideal 10-day cleanse.
- They’re formulated by Michael Murray, ND, author of more than 30 books on health and nutrition.
Savor Each Sip
- A robust blend of Tulsi holy basil, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and spices.
- This healing combination of herbs really eases stress and promotes a sense of calm—plus it helps boost the body’s natural immune and inflammation response systems, stimulate detoxification, and enhance digestion. All teas are organic and sustainably and ethically grown.
- The spicy-yet-smooth blend makes a great after-dinner digestive aid.
Natural Pain Relief
- This award-winning pain-relief formula now adds caffeine to its unique combination of ingredients such as anti-inflammatory curcumin and endorphin-boosting DL-phenylalanine.
- Recent research shows that caffeine may be a key factor in relieving occasional pain by acting on the central nervous system and targeting receptors in the brain related to pain sensation. It makes an already effective natural alternative to OTC pain relievers even better!
- Contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, dairy products, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, or artificial preservatives.
Best New Vitamin & Mineral Formulas
In 1935, the first “vitamin pill” was created when Swiss researchers discovered a way to synthesize vitamin C. It was mass-produced and marketed under the name Redoxon.
- Newly formulated with vitamin D3, this liquid multivitamin provides the full spectrum of essential vitamins and minerals kids need for healthy development, strong immune function, and emotional and mental vitality.
- It can be given by the tea-spoonful (dosages vary for children ages 6 months to 12 years) or mixed into any drink. Plus, it’s gluten- casein-, and alcohol-free, and contains no milk, eggs, wheat, yeast, peanuts, tree nuts, fish or shellfish, or artificial colorings, flavorings, or sweeteners.
- Kids love the natural Orange/Mango flavor.
- A women’s gummy multi-vitamin supplying 100% DV of 16 vitamins and minerals, including 10 mg iron for blood support and B12 to promote energy and metabolism, plus additional B vitamins for healthy skin and nails.
- They’re made from real, organic, non-GMO fruits and vegetables (9 whole organic fruits in every bottle!) and contain no sugar, animal gelatin, artificial dyes and sweeteners, or chemical vitamins.
- All-natural Organic Berry flavor.
- A gummy multivitamin for kids, providing 16 essential nutrients for healthy growth and development.
- This fun mix of Strawberry, Orange and Pineapple flavored “gummy bears” makes taking vitamins fun for kids. They’re sweetened with natural cane sugar and contain only natural colors and flavors.
- They’re allergen-, gluten-, dairy-, GMO-, and gelatin-free.
Nitric Oxide Booster
- A high-potency multivitamin/multimineral formula with L-citrulline, an amino acid that helps to boost nitric oxide in the body.
- It’s ideal for anyone with an active lifestyle. By increasing nitric oxide levels, this supplement helps blood vessels relax and dilate, allowing for increased blood flow and oxygen throughout the body. More oxygen means more energy and optimum heart health.
- Also included in the formula are energy-enhancing, nutrient-dense superfoods and beneficial oils, including maca root, beet root, turmeric, MCT oil, and flaxseed oil.
Sustain Your Energy
- Each tablet provides 150 mg of Niagen (nicotinamide riboside chloride), shown to boost NAD+, a metabolite of niacin essential to mitochondrial function that enables cells to convert glucose and fatty acids to energy.
- By increasing levels of NAD+ in the body, this supplement works on a cellular level to provide long-lasting energy, and also benefits neural health and healthy aging.
- The tablets combine quick-release and sustained-release forms that provide 50 mg Niagen for immediate use by the body, and 100 mg niagen over an 8-hour period—ensuring your cells are fueled all day.
Blood Heath Booster
- A chewable iron supplement with synergistic cofactors for total blood health.
- For iron-poor blood, this can quickly increase red blood cells, with 85 mg of iron as ferrous fumarate, commonly used to treat iron-deficiency anemia, along with a range of vitamins and minerals and cofactors such as citrus bioflavonoids that assist in absorption.
- This gluten-free chewable has a tasty Mixed Berry flavor and is gentle on the stomach.
Best New Probiotics
Fun fact: In a healthy person, there are up to 300 trillion probiotic bacteria, enough to encircle the globe 2.5 times if laid end to end!
Don’t Leave Home Without It
- A combination of a proprietary shelf-stable strain of Bifidobacterium longum and calcium.
- This probiotic strain is supported by over 50 published human clinical studies, and shown to be effective for symptoms associated with travel-related digestive distress.
- Helps to support healthy immune system function in seniors.
- A combination of clinically studied probiotics L. acidophilus NCFM and B. lactis Bl-04.
- Research shows the strains in this formula support a robust immune response to seasonal respiratory challenges.
- The probiotic strains in this product have been identity-verified using DNA-fingerprinting technology.
- A scientifically developed, multistrain probiotic containing 14 live bacterial cultures.
- Its diverse range of beneficial bacteria complement the existing gut flora naturally present in a healthy person’s digestive system to support digestion and help the immune system fend off seasonal bugs. This formula has been proven to survive the high acidity of the stomach and does not need to be refrigerated.
- It can ease travel-related gut woes: 1 week before travel, follow guidelines for general use. During travel, take 4 capsules daily.
- A once-daily probiotic featuring six bifidobacterium probiotic strains and 25 billion live cultures per capsule.
- Stress, aging, and diet all affect the balance among diverse microbes in the gut. These specially selected strains provide powerful immune and digestive support for active adults and seniors, and delayed-release capsules ensure targeted delivery in the gut.
- Supports respiratory health, too.
- A combination of the adaptogenic, stress-reducing herb ashwagandha (as Sensoril, a patented form of the herb that is eight times as potent as the standard form) and digestion- and immune-supporting probiotic strains.
- It’s basically two capsules in one, featuring a unique delivery system that ensures effective probiotic delivery—the probiotics are encompassed in an inner capsule, which is wrapped in an outer ashwagandha capsule.
- Non-gelatin caps are vegetarian- and vegan-friendly and non-GMO.
Best New Superfood Supplements
- Inspired by the traditional Peruvian purple-corn beverages that date back to the the Aztecs, this drink mix includes purple corn, purple maca, and yacon powder in a milk base.
- A delicious way to get the benefits of purple corn, an incredibly dense source of antioxidant pigments known as anthocyanins that fight free radicals linked to aging, inflammation, and disease. The milk base makes these pigments more soluble and easier to absorb.
- It’s great hot or cold. Try a teaspoon mixed with 8 oz. of organic milk of your choice, and raw honey to taste.
- Now available in two delicious new flavors, Chocolate Coconut and Matcha Tea, this mix-n-go powder is packed with superfoods including green foods, flax and chia seeds, green tea, enzymes, and 25 billion probiotics.
- This supplement makes it easy to support virtually every aspect of health, including (but not limited to) circulation, digestion, immunity, energy, and even mental clarity.
- Use it as a “boost” for smoothies, or just add a scoop to your favorite beverage.
Best New Immune Health Supplements
- A combination of the immune-enhancing mushrooms reishi and shiitake, with anti-inflammatory turmeric and ginger.
- This synergistic combination of medicinal mushrooms supports both immune and inflammatory responses for a one-two punch when it comes to fending off seasonal bugs.
- Ginger is known to calm nausea and aid in a healthy respiratory response.
- All-natural lozenges containing 7 gm of immune-boosting zinc gluconate per lozenges.
- This is just what you need when you’re nursing a cold, or feel one coming on. Along with zinc, these lozenges also include antioxidant-rich elderberry, throat-soothing marshmallow root and slippery elm, and virus-fighting echinacea.
- They’re organic and naturally sweetened with honey.
Best New Bath & Beauty
- Highly concentrated, rapidly absorbable Type 1 collagen peptides. The reformulated flavor is a smoother version of the original mango—sweet, but not too sweet, and much less tart.
- This peptide potion not only supports fuller hair, smoother and firmer skin, and stronger nails, it also assists in weight loss by maintaining lean muscle, promotes healthy joints and cartilage, and can even help you sleep.
- Great right from the bottle, but if you mix it with a little of water, the flavor “blooms” and become even more pronounced.
How Sweet It Is!
- Utterly delicious bars with none of the bad stuff you’ll find in actual cookies—with added collagen to support skin, hair, nail, and joint health. Each bar supplies 9 gm of grass-fed collagen protein and up to 13 gm of total protein.
- They satisfy your sweet tooth while fighting wrinkles. Could be the best invention ever.
- They’re low in sugar, high in fiber, and gluten- and GMO-free.
Clean and Clear
- Featuring naturally antibacterial African black soap (a soap made from sun-dried African plants such as cocoa pods and palm tree leaves and blended with oils such as coconut oil), this gentle cleanser also includes aloe vera, oats, vitamin E, and other natural ingredients.
- It exfoliates and removes bacteria, excess oil, and other 0impurities that can clog pores without over-drying or irritating skin. Ideal for helping to clear acne-prone skin.
- Includes no synthetic fragrances—its great scent comes from an essential oil blend.
Exfoliating skin removes the outermost layer of dead cells, allowing moisturizers to penetrate more effectively—especially important in cold weather, when skin tends to be drier.
- A mixable powdered elixir with Type I and III collagen, vitamin B12, vitamin C, and vitamin A.
- The collagen in this formula has been shown to enhance skin elasticity, increase skin collagen by 60%, and reduce depth of eye wrinkles. Meanwhile, vitamin C protects skin from cell-damaging free radicals and helps with collagen formation in the dermis layer. Vitamin A helps skin cell renewal in the epidermis layer.
- In refreshing Berry Flavor, it tastes great mixed with water or your favorite beverage.
Reviva Labs Peptide Facial Skin Prep
- This serum features a Hawaiian seaweed extract rich in trace minerals that stimulates cell energy; when skin cells are “energized,” collagen production is stimulated and other products are better absorbed and their benefits maximized. Other ingredients include hyaluronic acid, DMAE, and the peptide argireline.
- Makes your anti-aging treatments work even better. It not only boosts the benefits of other products and/or treatments, but is also a powerful anti-aging and firming product on its own and can be used as a stand-alone treatment.
- No-mess pump dispenser makes it easy to apply just the right amount.
Best New Sleep Supplements
Nearly 35% of American adults get less than 7 hours of sleep—the minimum required to reduce risk of several types of disease.
A Dream for an Insomniac
- A blend of magnesium, Suntheanine (a patented form of the relaxing amino acid L-theanine), GABA (another calming amino acid), and melatonin, which helps the body ease into restful sleep.
- A great “nightcap”—the powder mixes easily with hot water and can be sipped like a tea. You’ll be off to dreamland in no time.
- It comes in great-tasting Wildberry flavor and is sweetened with all-natural stevia.
Catch More Zzzs
- A naturopathic-doctor-formulated combination of three proven natural sleep aids: melatonin, valerian root extract, and the amino acid L-ornithine HCl.
- Its clinically proven ingredients tackle sleep issues from all sides: the combo helps you to fall asleep faster, improves sleep quality, decreases stress, and can reset the body’s sleep/wake cycle.
- Take it on your travels—it combats jet lag, too.
Get Your Beauty Sleep
- A combination of collagen, L-theanine, and melatonin.
- This perfect before-bed formula provides the collagen your dermis craves to renew and repair itself while you sleep, while L-theanine and melatonin help you fall asleep faster, slumber more soundly, and awake refreshed.
- It’s made with BioCell Collagen, a well-researched brand that includes hydrolyzed collagen type II, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid.
Best New Brain Health Supplements
- A blend of fermented greens including wheat grass, barley grass, and alfalfa, and adaptogenic herbs including ashwagandha, moringa, medicinal mushrooms, and matcha.
- One of our staffers mixes a scoop in water as an afternoon pick-me-up. It’s a simple way to enhance mental clarity and focus, reduce stress, and feel amazing every day
- Ingredients are organically grown.
- Reformulated this year with turmeric and velvet bean, this classic formula contains the proven brain boosters it has always had, including phosphatidylserine, phosphatidyl choline, lecithin, ashwagandha, Korean ginseng, alpha lipoic acid, acetyl L-carnitine HCI, ginkgo, and vitamin B12.
- This new-and-improved version is now even more effective in improving focus, mental stamina, and concentration.
- Clinical trials show some ingredients in this formula can boost energy levels, and inhibit cellular oxidative stress to slow the effects of aging from free radicals.
- A brain-health supplement formulated with Cera-Q, a protein hydrolysate derived from silk.
- You just can’t argue with the research. This supplement is backed by several human clinical studies that show statistically significant improvements in memory and cognition.
- Contains no milk, egg, fish, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, or other common allergens.
An Edge in the Cyber Age
- Clinically formulated with lutein and zeaxanthin (as Lutemax 2020, extracted from marigold), along with caffeine and an herbal energy blend.
- Great for students and office warriors, this supplement has been shown to enhance visual reaction time and mental processing speed, and also protects against damage to the eyes that can result from exposure to blue light emitted from digital devices like computers and cell phones.
- Also helps combat dry eye and headaches.
Best New ProteinPowders, Weight Loss, & Sports Nutrition Supplements
Turn on some tunes while you sweat: Listening to music while working out can improve performance by 15 percent.
The Right Ratio
- A branched-chain amino-acid formula in the clinically studied 2:1:1 ratio.
- This powder contains the ideal ratio of the amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine to recharge muscle and promote new muscle growth, and it replenishes electrolytes.
- This tart Cherry powder mixes easily and is rapidly absorbed.
Feel the HEAT
- A great-tasting, carbonated pre-workout beverage that contains 2,000 mg of L-citrulline and 300 mg of caffeine.
- As a pre-workout drink, it really delivers the additional boost of energy you need to power through (it’s been clinically shown to improve exercise performance and boost oxygen consumption over an eight-day period). Plus, it enhances thermogenesis, helping to burn fat by accelerating metabolism.
- Fizzy flavors include Cherry Lime, Blueberry Pomegranate, and Inferno Punch.
- This powder includes grass-fed, rBGH-free whey protein, along with enzymes, B vitamins, probiotics, and electolytes.
- With 25 gm of protein and just 140 calories, it fuels your workouts without packing on pounds, with added enzymes and probiotics for better protein absorption and digestion, B vitamins for energy, and electolytes to support post-workout recovery.
- Yummy Vanilla Milkshake and Chocolate Milkshake flavors are sweetened with stevia—no sugar, artificial sweeteners, or flavors.
Work Out Wisely
- This oil combines omega-3s, -6s, and -9s—plus MCTs, turmeric, and vitamin D.
- Ideal pre-or post-workout, each tablespoon provides a balanced blend of omegas, important for overall health including heart health and muscle recovery; MCTs for energy; turmeric for muscle repair; and vitamin D to support strength and bone health.
- It’s gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, and vegetarian.
Good to Go
- Protein powder plus! Each packet delivers 18gm of grass-fed dairy protein, 4 billion probiotics, 5gm of prebiotics, plant-sourced omega-3s, 25 vitamins and minerals, and no added sugars.
- We love that these new packs boast grass-fed, hormone-free dairy from New Zealand cows. Plus, the single-serve packets go anywhere and can be blended into shakes, frozen into tasty treats, mixed into smoothie bowls, or added to baked goods. Perfect as an energizing breakfast, after-workout refuel, or healthy dessert alternative.
- Available in tasty Triple Berry, Vanilla, and Chocolate flavors.
- A concentrated blend of the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) capric acid and caprylic acid derived from coconut oil. It’s made using a gentle process that removes the solid fats from coconut oil, leaving only high levels of MCTs.
- Because it contains no chemicals or filler oils, it has a clean, light coconut flavor and no aftertaste, and tastes great added to smoothies, shakes, or coffee. MCTs support metabolism and energy, and this oil’s high MCT content (13 g per Tbs.) make it a perfect part of a weight management plan.
- The bottle is BPA-free.
Whey to Go!
- This easy-to-mix powder blends collagen with grass-fed, rBGH-free whey protein, probiotics, Madagascar vanilla beans, and hyaluronic acid.
- Its unique combination of ingredients works synergistically to increase athletic performance and reduce injuries; helps to keep cartilage flexible and strong; supports protein absorption and muscle recovery; and supports a healthy inflammation response (vanilla beans are antioxidant and anti-inflammatory).
- It contains no sugar or artificial sweeteners and can be added to water, smoothies, and even coffee.