Recipe by Janah Adickman Pile this spicy jackfruit filling into warmed pitas, and serve with tzatziki sauce or plain Greek yogurt, shredded lettuce, sliced onions and tomatoes, and a dash of hot sauce.
- 1 Tbs. organic margarine
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 20-oz. can young jackfruit in brine, rinsed, drained, and pulled apart into shreds
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- ¾ tsp. ground coriander
- Heat margarine in skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Add onion, and sauté 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Add jackfruit, and cook 20 minutes, or until browned and caramelized.
- Add broth, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, oregano, soy sauce, and coriander, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 10–15 minutes, or until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Stir in remaining 2 Tbs. lemon juice.
Calories: 1002 Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 14g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 292mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg
For more 7 “new” superfoods to try in 2017 recipes: 7 Unusual Super Foods