6 – 8 Servings
2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
4 cups water
¼ cup olive oil
¼ tsp. crushed red chili peppers
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbs. garlic, minced
2 cups red rice
1½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
- In a large bowl, place the shiitake mushrooms and cover with 4 cups of water. Let mushrooms soak 30 minutes or until they are hydrated. Remove mushrooms from the water and reserve the broth for cooking. Ring out the mushrooms and chop them fine then set them aside.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold the ingredients, heat the oil, add the chili peppers, onions and minced garlic and sauté with a pinch of salt until onions are translucent.
- Once onions are ready, add the rice, remaining salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. Add the liquid reserved from the mushrooms, mix thoroughly then bring the pot up to a boil.
- Taste broth to be sure that there is enough seasoning.
- Cover pot and reduce the heat to its lowest setting. Cook undisturbed for 55 minutes or according to the directions on the package. Once done, remove pot from the heat. Let the pot sit undisturbed another 10 minutes before removing lid and serving. This is not fluffy rice, so there is no need to fluff before serving.
PER SERVING: 400 CAL; 15 G PROT; 9 G TOTAL FAT; 64 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 534 MG SOD; 5.5 G FIBER; 0 G SUGARS
From the article: New Age Soul Food
Other menu items:
- stuffed salmon
- sautéed greens with caramelized onions