For more Simply amazing midday meal ideas: What’s for Lunch?
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. leanest ground turkey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14.5-oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6-oz. can black olives, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 heaping tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ancho chili pepper
- (or cayenne)
- ½ cup stone-ground corn meal
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 4 minutes, or until onion and pepper just begin to soften. Add garlic, turkey, and salt, and sauté 6–7 minutes, or until no pink remains on turkey.
- Drain meat, if necessary, and add beans, tomatoes, olives, corn, chili powder, cumin, chili pepper, and corn meal, and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top, and bake uncovered 40 minutes, or until heated through.
- Calories: 286
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 914 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g