The star of this bright summer salad is fresh spinach, high in calcium and
magnesium essential to bone health.
Makes: 9 cups
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 3 ears white corn, kernels cut off (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes (about 3–4 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach (about 4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup bold extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, bring lentils and 5 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15–20 minutes, or until just tender and still firm. Rinse well under running cold water, and set aside. (Lentils can be cooked in advance and refrigerated.)
2. Combine lentils with remaining ingredients in large bowl, and toss gently to combine. Serve as a side dish with grilled fish, or heap atop a bed of crispy greens for a main-course salad.
Per serving: 186 cal; 7g pro; 7g total fat (1g sat fat); 27g carb; 0mg chol; 201mg sod; 6g fiber; 4g sugars