Salmon is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. It has lots of omega-3 fatty acids—which can decrease inflammation and lower blood pressure—and it’s packed with tons of vitamins and minerals. Salmon is also a great source of high-quality protein, which plays a number of important roles in the body, including protecting bone health and maintaining muscle mass during weight loss and the aging process.
And unlike flaky fish, which tends to fall apart, salmon can handle the grill. In fact, grilling is one of the fastest and easiest ways to cook this fish.
See Also 10 Superfood Superstars
This moist and flavorful recipe from Char-Broil Great Book of Grilling: 300 Tasty Recipes for Every Meal will quickly become one of your favorite summer meals.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
4 salmon steaks or fillets (4 to 6 oz. each), fresh, thawed, or frozen
1 4-oz. jar green olives, drained and sliced*
3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. garlic, minced
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 Tbs. olive or canola oil
1 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
2 Tbs. slivered red onion
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the olives. Blend remaining olives, yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper flakes; set aside.
- Rinse any ice glaze from frozen salmon under cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat a heavy skillet with oil, and place on grill to preheat.
- Brush both sides of salmon with oil. Place salmon in heated skillet, and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Turn salmon over, and sprinkle with lemon pepper.
- Cover pan tightly, and reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes for frozen salmon; 3 to 4 minutes for fresh or thawed fish.
- To serve, spoon sauce over each salmon portion, and sprinkle with reserved olives and slivered onion.
*To decrease the amount of sodium in this recipe, you can use black olives instead of green.
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 70 mg
- Fat Content: 31 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 940 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g