It bursts with complex flavors that dance on the tip of your tongue and tickle your throat long after they’ve massaged your belly. This one is a stunner, and it does justice to every bite of even the best pineapple salsa. It’s not to be missed.
CREDIT: Reprinted with permission from The Blender Girl by Tess Masters, copyright (c) 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut water or water
- 2 ½ cups (400g) diced pineapple, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup (43g) firmly packed baby spinach
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped
- red onion, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup (7g) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño chile, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- Pinch of finely grated lime zest
- Pinch of natural salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup (125g) ice cubes (none if using frozen pineapple)
- Natural sweetener
Put all of the ingredients into your blender in the order listed and puree for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Tweak flavors to taste (you may want more onion, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, or sweetener, depending on the ripeness of your pineapple; I find I never need it, but different strokes.