For more about this recipe: Organic, Grass-Fed Meats for the Holidays
- 12 oz. frozen dark cherries
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered, and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- ½ cup dried, juice-sweetened tart cherries
- 1¼ lb. cubed, grass-fed stew beef (about 2-inch cubes)
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tsp. unsweetened tart cherry or apple butter, optional
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
Place frozen cherries, squash, onion, and dried cherries on bottom of slow cooker. Top with beef cubes.
In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, tapioca, cherry butter (if using), salt, pepper, and cinnamon, and mix well to thoroughly combine.
Pour tomato mixture over beef and cook on high 4–5 hours, or on low 5–6 hours, until beef is cooked through, but still moist, and squash is tender.
- Calories: 298
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 52 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 514 mg
- Sugar Content: 19 g