This protein-packed crust is easy to make, and ideal for a free-form rustic oval crust. Or, for a more traditional look, form into a circle. We used spinach, basil, onions and olives, with a mix of mozzarella and sharp cheese, but vary the toppings as you like, and experiment with cheeses: Brie, blue cheese, fresh mozzarella and smoked Gouda are good choices. Soaking the quinoa removes bitter components and adds moisture needed for processing; to save time, grind raw quinoa into a flour and add water as needed when making the dough.
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup plain pea or soy protein powder blend
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup pizza sauce or tomato sauce
1/4 cup baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup onions, sliced thinly
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
2 Tbs. basil leaves, thinly sliced
Red pepper flakes (optional)
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 oz. Asiago cheese, shredded
1. Cover quinoa with cold water in a small bowl and let stand for eight hours, or overnight. Drain in a mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and lightly brush with olive oil.
3. Transfer soaked and rinsed quinoa to a food processor and add protein powder, baking powder and salt. Process on high speed into a smooth, loose dough, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping food processor to scrape dough down the sides as needed.
4. Transfer dough onto parchment. Spread into a free-form oval or circle (about 10 to 12 inches in diameter) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until slightly golden and firm. Remove from oven. Slide parchment off baking sheet and carefully flip crust over onto baking sheet. Bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until golden and edges are starting to crisp.
5. Remove from oven; spread crust with sauce and layer with spinach, onions, basil and olives. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired. Cover with mozzarella and Asiago cheese.
6. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and cut into six squares or wedges. Serve immediately.