Spring Roll Salad
Spring rolls are a traditional food served during Chinese New Year celebrations in, you guessed it, spring. This fresh, meal-worthy salad has all the flavor and crunch of this seasonal favorite minus the wrap and fryer.
- For the shrimp:
- ¾ lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 tsp. red curry paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Pinch salt
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
- For the salad:
- 2 oz. dry rice noodles
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup carrot, julienned
- ½ cup cucumber, seeded, sliced into half-moons
- ½ cup fresh bean sprouts
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup torn fresh mint leaves
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- Marinate shrimp with curry paste, sugar, oil, and salt for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette and salad components.
- Combine lime juice, sugar, ginger, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce for the vinaigrette in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and set aside.
- Soak noodles in boiling water until soft, 3–4 minutes. Drain and rise in cold water, pulling apart any clumped noodles with your fingers.
- Prepare vegetables and herbs for the salad, keeping each separate.
- Sauté marinated shrimp in oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook on both sides until firm, about 5 minutes total.
- Assemble salads, dividing components between two plates. Top with shrimp and peanuts, then toss with vinaigrette to taste.
Calories: 480 Fat: 18g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 55g Sugar: 21g Sodium: 1530mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 27g
For more seasonal salad recipes – Seasonal Salads